Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Saturday Maintenance on the Mamba
So I was able to accomplish a couple of cosmetic changes last week; bars and seat. With a little help from Yardley and his drill, I was able to install the seat rather easily. Hardest part was drilling a hole in the fender. I went with the Old Gold Garage Cobra King and was impressed with the craftsmanship of the seat. I found it very comfortable, in particular for a thin seat but its a safe bet most passengers won't agree. I also switched out the Biltwell Chumps that came on it with Zeds instead.
On Saturday KTB offered to help me with the carb tuning. The bike was rather "cold blooded"; particularly when it first starts. It used to pop and wheeze until it warmed up a bit. When I bought it I never asked the previous owner whether or not he adjusted the the carb when he installed the aftermarket air filter and exhaust. Based on what it was doing, it made sense to start by looking at the carb.
When we went to adjust the air fuel ratio adjustment screw, we noticed that the factory cover was still intact. Once we drilled through and were able to access the adjustment screw, we noticed that the screw was set all the way in. So we made a small adjustment to the fuel air ratio (one full turn for the time being), installed new plugs and added a shim to the needle. We put everything back together and fired it up. It now starts up much quicker and runs much better. There's still some popping here and there when its cold but once it's warmed up there's no hesitation or wheezing when the throttle is turned.
In the meantime, I'm riding the hell out of it! Feels really nice to have a bigger bike again...